Friday 20 June 2008

absence

Yes it's been a while. I'd like to say I have 8 days worth of makings to show, but rather it's been more experimenting and testing some things and mainly having flu, which is not much help in getting things done. Instead here is my latest charity shop distraction. (Traid, £3 sale, need I say more). I bourght if for the fabric, it's so....something, and covered in these transparent yet shimmery sequins, underneath which is this retro geometric print. The shape as it is doesn't do much for me, it's about 2 or 3 sizes too big and the length somewhat drowns a shorty like me. So the question is, what to do with it? Shorten it? Shorten the sleeves? Make it sleeveless? Change the neckline? Hmmm I can't decide. Any suggestions?



Also here is a pic of this jacket I posted a while ago, again looking for suggstions of how to alter it. The general consensus was to leave it as it is, there's nothing wrong with a little bit of puff.
But as you see, once it's on, it's not a little bit of puff, it's a whole lot! Even without shoulder pads it looks like my shoulders go on for about four miles. Also the way the bottom of the jacket is done, with this V, instead of the sides meeting, just makes it look like you ate a really big dinner and your belly is poking out too much. All in all the garment as it is isn't doing it for me, it's the fabric that's cool. So again, what am I going to do with it?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

1st dress - shorten, change the neckline
2nd - VEST! totally

Sharon S said...

Hi there-yes, I agree with anonymous-good alternatives!!The neckline is unusual though-I like it as it is!

Meg said...

I sort of like the neckline on the dress, especially as it means you can really go crazy with the length of the dress (short!)
And the jacket - waistcoat for sure, maybe you can take off the buttons and trim the V shape back for a slight curve, then you can leave it open.

Winnie said...

I think definitely shorten it. I think it would look pretty sweet with no sleeves too.

OLD BLOSSOM BOX said...

leave the neckline, its beautiful as it is.. but just shorten the dress to suit ur height.. its a great bargain, and lovely too..

as for the jacke, yup, a vest can be done, but u can also alter theshoulder, making the length shorter... so tat it fits properly..

estrella said...

I totally agree with Winnie :)

soph said...

Thanks for the comments guys :)

I love love love the waistcoat idea, gotta do that soon!

Danz said...

hey soph, I would leave the neckline as is on the dress, but shorten it to knee length and make it sleeveless. You can wear it just like that or it would also look great with a belt to define the waist. I was thinking the same thing about the jacket, definitely make it into a waistcoat, it would look fantastic!

yiqin; said...

I think the waist coat was awesome. I would have made it into a mini dress & cut off the sleeves! I think it'll be a really awesome printed mini